SocialDissonance.com

When there is fun, people gather and new friendships are born.
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:57 pm 

Hello everyone! I recently got portable third and left behind Tri, which I have 700+ hours in. I started tri with the sns, and I spent the entire village portion with it. When I got online I played around with the BG, and after defeating alatreon I made it my go-to weapon. I loved all of the different shots, and I was quite proficient at it both online and solo. When I booted up portable third, I made my way through the village quests with the bowgun with ease, having fought many of the monsters in Tri, but I hit a bit of difficulty in the guild quests since I dont have adhoc party or xlink. Even with a Rathalos attack up and stinger/exploiter set, I would still need almost 50% more ammo to kill the monsters I took on with Narga armor in the village, and the multi monster quests are simply out of the question. High rank was where I hit the real roadblocks, and almost every monster has required almost 30 minutes at a minimum. I've had to abandon using heavy bowguns because I run out of ammo! It took me 45 minutes to take out Narga with the high rank Jaggi set (Attack up L, +10% affinity) and the upgraded valkrie fire (rathian light bowgun, first High rank upgrade) with power barrel and the attack upgrade. Is this the tone to how pretty much the rest of the quests are going to go? I would consider switching to sns or dual swords or even lance, but I don't even have any sets or weapons. I would love to finish with the bowgun, but the progress is slow and arduous. Opinions? I'm mostly afraid that I will get walled by Jinouga or Tigrex or something even nastier.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:43 pm 

I'm a gunner too and I only started to be able to kill things efficiently when I got myself decent skills.
In p3rd you can choose between LBG for elementals and HBG for raw power (normal and pierce).
If you're afraid of running out of ammo, pierce/normal is probably your best choice.

If I'm not mistaken, you can make some really easy low rank armor sets using the ancient gunner armor to get rapidfire+1 and one element with +2. Even though the ancient pieces are low rank, high rank peco, thunder peco and ludroth can fill your elemental slots. This is the most efficient setup for LBG until late game when you can get escadora. RapidFire+1 more than doubles your available ammo. Be sure to make royal ludroth's, barioth's, rathalos' and jinouga's guns since these are the ones that rapidfire each element.

Check if you are not able to make the high rank ancient gunner chest. That piece with arzuros legs can get rapidfire+1 leaving you with 3 armor pieces and charm to get the elements. You can use barioth helmet to gem evasion+1 if you like it:.

HBG, on the other hand, will always suffer of ammo limitations. It's not nearly as good as LBG for elementals (except for Ukanlos' HBG). So you should probably have in mind that you are going to be shooting a lot of normal 2. Normal 2 is actually a great shot choice in HBG and if you want to completely specialize in it, it's a good choice against Zinogre and Tigrex. It seems that you already have an exploiter/attack set. That's a good choice for these raw power guns.

I hope you enjoy your guns.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:25 pm 

Thank you very much! I am actually trying to make a barioth and rustshard armor combo for ice+1 and rapidfire+1, The Pecco subspecies survived my Jaggi set and my barioth rapid ice assault. The only problem with the barioth gun is that its non elementals are pretty much just pierce, which is laughably effective on pecco. I have all 4 of those guns, and the jinouga detonator is proving to be an amazing choice for rathalos, rathian, narga, and tigrex. rapid slice shot means I can try for the plates without a sword. no luck on rathalos plate yet, but I dont mind grinding rathalos. In general whenever using elementals is it better to go elemental+ or attack+? I feel like the boost from elements should outweigh an attack up M at least.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:16 pm 

Well, here's some math:
In p3rd, lbg's raw power reaches 260 average. That means that 20 raw increase from attack up large is less than 10% elemental damage increase. On the other hand, element+2 gives 20% and elemental up gives 10%. You can even combine these two, thus giving you roughly 32% elemental damage increase.
So, it's very clear that you should be aiming for elemental+2 at least, since it's easier to get and it's a big increase.
You can get element+2 for any element with the ancient chest and arzuros (aoashira) legs.
Thunder: crimson peco and jinouga
Water: ludroth and amatsu
Fire: rathian and rathalos (akantor?)
Ice: barioth and ukanlos

I know that when I reached HR 5 I already had one armor for each element, with rapidfire+1, evasion+1 and element+2 by mixing these guys with the ancient chest and very limited charms.

Against crimson peco I usually shoot normal 2 with barroth's gun and full silver los armor (normal s up, exploiter, attack up m, precision+2 and evasion+1). You can probably achieve something like that with regular rathalos armor and jinouga vaporizer. It isn't as strong, but you'll have enough ammo. Exploiter helps you figure when you're hitting a good hitzone so it's great for practice.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:38 am 

All I have left for the HR5 quests is the green narga, thanks to your helpful tips! Im going to use the HBG on him though, The upgraded thunder peco bowgun is too good against him to pass up; all levels of pellet, with thunder and fire make this gun ideal (on paper). I'm pairing it with a pellet shot up set with recoil down +1 and evasion +1, Can't wait to put theory into practice. I haven't seen many solo gunning videos on the elder dragons though, which is a little bit concerning. Have you had any luck with soloing the elders with a gun?? I could probably get the Jho gun without too much trouble, I have plenty of experience with him from tri.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:20 am 

The elders are all very vulnerable to rapid fire dragon.
I usually avoid using it because it's just broken.
I've been able to solo most them with regular elemental and normal shots.
Deviljho: normal 3 or thunder s. barroth gun is my favorite
Akantor: normal 3 to the face. Stay near enough to trigger tail swipes to avoid being overrun.
Ukanlos: fire. Face and back legs.
Amatsu: fire to the horns. Very easy to gun and very easy to die too if you get hit by it's hard hits.

Alatreon has been a strong problem. The only gunning tactic with decent killing time i found is clust, crag and sleep bombing with the ancient or rust gun. Still, it takes so much longer than rapid bow/hammer/gs to the horns that it's just nonsense (like 3 times).

Now that I think about it, there is one tactic that seems to kill him in ok time too: pellets with doboru gun or peco hbg. His horns have huge magnets for pellets. Some people wall pellet him.

Most of these guys (except jho) take 20-30 minute do kill. A little bit less than 20 with end game gear.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:55 pm 

It's been a really long time since my last post, but I've been super busy with P3rd. I made it to HR6 (thanks to your help), and I have a Jin set, silver los set, several fully upgraded guns, and I just need to get a better normal or pierce gun before I take on akantor, I really want his armor (amatsu farming) and his gun for the cool factor. I can take a jho in under 20 minutes at best, so one would think a slow moving massive punching bag would be no sweat. I get anihalted by his charge though, I have absolutely no experience with him and I can never seem to get under his arm to avoid the massive damage from the charge. I'm thinking either my green narga HBG or getting the tigrex HBG with shields for pierce/normal coupled with silver los armor. Also, is the gold rathian bowgun any good on amatsu? its got rapid pellet 1 & 2, with plenty of pellet 3 and fire, and great normal 3. I already have it, so its just a matter of if its worth trying. Is rapid dragon really THAT broken? I saw mazereon's sub four minute agnaktor run but how well does that translate to the elders? I finally got access to adhoc party, and though I wont be able to use it for two weeks due to housing arrangments, I dont have to be forever alone!

EDIT: Killed Akantor and got a jewel from him, it took half an hour with my silver los set and the upgraded barioth gun, exploiter doesn't seem to work as reliably on pierce as it does on the other shot types. It took all of my combines for pierce with the shot mix skill to kill him, I had 11 lvl 1's left. Should I be using Normal shots with exploiter instead of pierce? then the Jhogun would work quite well (normal and dragon) In theory.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:09 am 

Soloing akantor with a bowgun is really annoying. Dragon does very high damage to him. I've seen some heroics run that kill him before the hunter ran out of dragon s. His hitzones are very weird, with the tail being one of the best targets. Still, it's not really high damage. I used to wear full uragaan for pierce shots. I tried to finish him with normal 2/3 to the head a long time ago, but I was very unfamiliar to his moves and it took a long time to kill him. Nowadays I usually bow him, since with his bow you can solo him in under 20 minutes with ease. It's probably my fastest option.

Dragon S is so strong that I completely avoid it. It devours anything that is weak to dragon (uragaan, rathalos, jho, elders, agna, etc). If you want to play throught mhptunnel or xlink, I can help you there, but I don't have adhoc party.

I've never tried profusion with amatu. I don't really like rapidfire pellets/normal, but it sounds like a good idea. You should not run out of ammo at least. I usually go with full rathalos with rathian's arm (rapidfire+1, fire element+2, attack up L, exploiter) and shoot fire then normal 2/3, all to the horns.

For normal s I use either barroth's LBG or ukanlos LBG. Ukanlos HBG is really the strongest choice. His guns have insane raw power. Barroth's LBG is stronger than uka's LBG, though, by 3 or 5 effective raw. I think that amatsu's HBG is the second strongest normal HBG. And probably the strongest pellet HBG.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:26 am 

Fun update on akantor:
Rapidfire normal 2 killing akantor in 14 min. :D That tank is just hilarious.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:13 pm 

Some helpful info.Thank you very much. I am actually trying to make a barioth and rustshard armor combo for ice+1 and rapidfire+1, The Pecco subspecies survived my Jaggi set and my barioth rapid ice assault. The only problem with the barioth gun is that its non elementals are pretty much just pierce, which is laughably effective on pecco.